If fertility is on your radar you might have heard recently that the sperm quality of North American men is on a significant decline. There has been a 52% decline in sperm concentration and a 59% decline in total sperm count over a nearly 40-year period ending in 2011 which has dramatically affected fertility rates.
Remember 1/3- 1/2 of infertility and sub-fertility is due to male factor!
Recent studies have even suggested that early stage miscarriage can be linked to poor sperm quality.
There is good news, though! Lifestyle factors have a huge impact on sperm count, morphology and motility! It takes approximately 90 days for sperm to be created so it’s time to implement some changes now! Here are 9 tips for improving male fertility:
1. Avoid processed foods, soy products and sugar.
2. Limit alcohol consumption and stop smoking marijuana and cigarettes!!!
3. Eat a variety of healthy fats including nuts and seeds, grass-fed butter, olive oil and coconut oil, fatty fish and avocados.
4. Supplement! A high quality multi-vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, fish oil and zinc.
5. Reduce expose to chemicals in your environment and body care products. Follow the dirty dozen for organic food, avoid plastic Tupperware and water bottles. Transition to more natural products avoiding BPA, phalates, parabens, synthetic colors and fragrance, BHA and BTA, petroleum and sulfates. Check your labels for these things.
6. Make sure to get adequate sleep, 7-9 hours. A good gauge is if you wake up feeling rested each morning and are able to get though the day without stimulants.
7. Exercise! 2-4 times a week with a mixture of cardio and resistance training is best.
8. Manage Stress. Simple ways to manage stress are taking a walk outside, reading something uplifting or inspirational for 10-20 minutes of journaling.
9. Avoid overheating sperm with things like laptop computers in your lap, hot tubs, hot yoga, saunas and tight brief underwear.
If you have questions or need help with improving fertility give us a call or text, we are always happy to chat 479-437-9056